School Bus Driver Benefits
Sherrard School District has an urgent need for school bus drivers (regular routes and substitutes). Please read the following information and share it with those you feel would be a good fit for the position.
Benefits of being a bus driver include:
- This job is well-suited for retired persons, farmers, at-home parents, coaches, parents of athletes and those seeking part-time work. Drivers who are parents of students like having the same schedule as their children.
- Time flexibility – sub drivers can pick and choose the days/times to work. This flexibility will allow individuals to earn an extra income and not be tied down to a rigid work schedule.
- Drivers have opportunities for extra pay by driving for field trips and evening/weekend activities.
- Most regular routes allow you to go home during the middle of the day to allow for errands and activities.
- Applicants are paid while they practice driving and while they take the 8-hour training.
$18/hour Sub Pay
$18/hour starting pay – regular routes
$12.05/hour activity pay – athletics/field trips
Permanent routes are available!
Process for becoming a bus driver, usually takes 3 to 6 weeks.
- Obtain a Commericial Driver's License (CDL) from a local driver's license facility.
- Completion of a State-mandated background check (district pays cost)
- Physical Examination (district pays the cost)
- Completion of an 8-hour classroom training course
- Practice driving a bus with a district trainer
- Successful completion of a driving skills test at driver's license facility
- Successful completion of a brief passenger endorsement written test
Call the Sherrard Unit Office (309) 593-4075 to discuss your interest in becoming a bus driver. Apply by selecting Employment at the top of the district webpage. Click the blue link, which will take you to the district online application site, Under Vacancies, choose Support Staff. Click the RED Apply button at the top of the window on the right side.