Proof of Residency
A person who knowingly or willfully presents to any school district any false information regarding the residency of a pupil for the purpose of enabling that pupil to attend any school in that district shall be guilty of a Class C misdemeanor. Registration of a student who is not in the “legal custody” (as that term is defined in the Illinois School Code) of the person registering the student is a fraudulent registration that will be subject to disenrollment of the student and the collection of retroactive tuition charged for non-resident students, not to exceed 110% of the per pupil cost. (105 ILCS 5/10-20.12b)
All documents must be current (within past 30 days) and include your parent/guardian name along with your Sherrard District address. A student's address is the same as the person who has legal custody of the student.
All new students to the district must present proof of residency within the District by providing the required number of documents from each of the following categories:
Category I (One document required)
- Most recent property tax bill and proof of payment, e.g. canceled check or Form 1098 (homeowners)
- Mortgage papers (homeowners)
- Signed & dated lease and proof of last month's payment, e.g. canceled check or receipts (renters)
- Letter from manager and proof of last month's payment, e.g. canceled check or receipt (trailer park residents)
- Letter of residence from landlord in lieu of lease
- Letter of residence to be used when the person seeking to enroll a student is living with a District resident
Category II (Two documents showing proper address are required)
- Driver's license
- Vehicle registration
- Voter registration
- Most recent cable television and/or credit card bill
- Current public aid card
- Current homeowners/renters insurance policy and premium payment receipt
- Most recent gas, electric, and/or water bill
Military Personnel Enrolling a student for the First Time in the District.
Must provide one of the following within 60 days after the date of student's initial enrollment.
- Postmarked mail addressed to military personnel
- Lease agreement for occupancy
- Proof of ownership of residence