Pomoting Health & Wellness at School
- Good night sleep: Recommendation from National Sleep Foundation
- Preschoolers (3-5 years) need 10-13 hours
- School-aged children (6-13 years) need 9-11 hours
Teenagers (14-17 years) need 8-10 hours
Young Adults (18-25 years) need 7-9 hours
- Breakfast every morning...
- Improves student focus
Improves test scores
Decreases headaches and stomach aches
Dress appropriately for weather
- Personal Hygiene
- Wash hands prior to eating, after using restroom, blowing nose, coughing or sneezing, touching pets or animals.
Cover sneeze and cough into elbow
- Sick days: students should stay home from school if...
- Fever 100° or greater. Must be below 100° for 24 hours without use of fever reducing medications before they may return to school.
- Students with mild cold symptoms may attend school if they do not have a fever.
See chart for further guidelines.
Parents/guardians may wish to contact their child's health care provider if the child has frequent complaints of pain or illness to rule out a medical issue or to determine if there is a reason the child is trying to avoid school.